Homeless Housing Assistance Program (HHAP)

The HHAP provides capital grants and loans to not-for-profit corporations, charitable and religious organizations, municipalities and public corporations to acquire, construct or rehabilitate housing for persons who are homeless and are unable to secure adequate housing without special assistance. The program provides capital funding for the development of a broad range of housing options for the diverse homeless population in the state’s urban, suburban and rural areas.

The statute governing the program defines a "homeless person" as an undomiciled person who is unable to secure permanent and stable housing without special assistance. Families, single persons, youth, the elderly, as well as a range of special needs groups such as the mentally disabled, victims of domestic violence, and persons with AIDS have all been assisted at projects financed by HHAP.

Program funds are awarded through an annual competitive Request for Proposal process. Applicants and awardees represent a broad range of not-for-profit and charitable organizations, generally with experience either in housing development or management, or in the provision of social services. Project sponsors include small, community-based organizations as well as larger agencies with a more regional focus. A relatively small number of grants have also been made to municipalities.

  Funding Category: 

Acquisition, Construction, Rehabilitation for the Homeless 

Target Population:

Homeless individuals or families

Funding Available:

For FY 2002, more than $37 million were made available for HHAP grants.

Application Information:

HHAP NOFA 2001-2002


Homeless Housing and Assistance Program, NYS Office of Temporary and Disability Assistance
40 North Pearl Street, 9-A, Albany, NY 12243, Attn: Colleen A. Salvagni, fax (518) 486-7068

Bureau of Housing Services, (518) 486-6102 

Links To More Info:

HHAP RFP, Instructions & Forms

OTDA Programs Addressing Homelessness and At-Risk Populations

Administering Agency:

NYS Office of Temporary and Disability Assistance

Back to Resource Guide